Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Outdoor Gear for Baby?

Ah, June. Well, almost. It is time for camping trip #2. So much to do in order to get ready.

Anyhow, for our second trip, I am planning some better meals. I am still doing our obligatory pizza on the night of our arrival, but I will load up the slow-cooker the night before we leave in order to make pulled-pork sandwiches the second night.

And, in order to get ready, I felt it was only appropriate that Kyra have some good 'ol fashioned outdoor gear. So, I left work a few minutes early and headed up to REI to check out what they had in the way of warm clothes for tots. These clothes would, of course, need to be functional. I mean, Kyra needs warm clothes for chilly mornings/evenings. Being cooped up the camper can be so very difficult. I also believe that Kyra needs to grow up doing things outside. So, she obviously needs "gear" in order to do that.

Ah, gear. How I love trying to keep up with all of the latest-and-greatest in outdoor performance wear. My ultimate clothing wish? A water-resistant down coat. Mmmmm. One with a huge, fluffy hood. Why, you ask? Well, while we were in Peru a few years ago, we had a couple very cold nights (especially while we camped at 17,000').

A friend of mine came out to the dinner tent wearing a fantastic Mammut Down Coat. The huge hood engulfed her face and she seemed to disappear into its massive warmth. Aaaa, I was jealous to say the least. In the picture to the left, you can see Kris in her big down on the left side of the pic, while I sit shivering in my yellow wimpy down coat on the right.


Of course, if we were camping anywhere with little Ms. Kyra in weather that warranted that extreme of a coat, we would definitely need to pack it up and head home.

So, what do I feel my little girl needs to make it outside? What does her "gear-savvy" mom believe that no little munchkin can live without? Well, nothing too fancy. Kyra hasn't learned how to rock climb, so little harnesses are not yet needed. She doesn't walk yet, so I don't even need to find little hiking boots for her tootsies. No, just a rain jacket, a fleece coat, and some fleece pants. I think that should do. I found a set of "expedition weight" fleece underwear (I so wanted to find the same thing for me) and a nice water resistant coat with a fleece liner and a hood. I snuck in some Smart Wool Baby Booties (don't tell Darin).


Of course, my main wish is to get just a little more shut-eye this go-round. That is really all I need. Pictures to follow of how our next adventure goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment