Friday, July 10, 2009

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Once upon a time, I was a young, active, energetic, impulsive, sometimes feisty woman. I climbed mountains and posted pictures of my adventures all over my cubicle to fantasize about upcoming weekends and vacations. I had a list of Colorado’s fourteeners posted near my computer screen, so I could “plan” which ones I would do during which weekends. I’d think, “We can drive out, pack in on Friday, climb the peak on Saturday, hike out Sunday…” That wasn’t too far from how many of our weekends would go.

I would be thinking about this while at work…my means to an end, my means to continue my hobby and sometimes the only thing standing between me and my outdoor dreams.

While at work, I would talk to coworkers about their children. These coworkers would lament about problem teens, brag about athletes, laugh about first girlfriends, and share stories of their children’s antics. It was interesting. I got to know people’s children through these discussions and in return, they would listen to my stories of adventure. They would wow over my pictures and make me feel like a real superwoman; of course, I knew a lot of mountaineers who were much stronger than I, but I was still pretty proud of myself. I felt like what I spent my weekends doing was so extraordinary.



The knife-edge on Capital Peak

I was in the midst of planning a trip to climb Kilimanjaro when Darin and I decided to make a change in plans and have a baby instead. Where did that idea come from? That’s one long story and I’d develop carpal tunnel syndrome if I go into those details. Needless to say, having a baby is a long ways from planning a trip to climb Africa’s highest peak…


Looking back, of course, I would not have changed a thing. I used to think that motherhood was so ordinary. I mean, there are a lot of mothers out there. MY mom is a mother. Many of my female coworkers are mothers. More and more of my friends are becoming mothers…


But, only I am Kyra’s mother. Nothing can compare to watching my sweet daughter do all that she does. I can’t believe how I cheer her on whenever she uses her sippy cup by herself. It’s amazing, it’s awe-inspiring. A summit is slso awe-inspiring, but caring for Kyra in all of her sweet baby-hoodness is the most fulfilling job that I have ever had. I love this job of motherhood; it’s truly extraordinarily ordinary.






Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment